Catastrophic Shooting at Michigan State University

A gunman murdered three students and injured another 5 on Monday night

Paul Sancya

A vigil was held at Clawson High School for Alexandria Verner on Tuesday night

by Isabel Andjell, Staff Writer

On Monday, Feb. 13, a gunman opened fire on Michigan State University’s Berkey Hall around 8:30 p.m, and later moved to the student union. He killed three students and critically injured five others. The victims who passed away were Brian Fraser, 20, Alexandria Verner, 20, and Arielle Diamond Anderson, 19. Sophomore Claire Papoulias said that some of her classmates smashed a window open and helped each other jump out of the classroom. “My feet hit the ground running. I forgot everything I owned because that didn’t matter. I focused on making it out alive. I jumped out the window and I ran as fast as I could,” she said.

The gunman was Anthony McRae, 43, and had no apparent ties with MSU. After a three-hour manhunt, he was found dead off campus by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had a note in his pocket threatening to attack schools in Ewing Township in New Jersey, where he had not lived in several years. His motive has yet to be identified, although his father said his son had been increasingly struggling with his mental health but had no diagnosis for his problems.

An email alert was sent out to students saying, “Run, Hide, Fight” (Emily Elconin)

“There are children in Michigan who are living through their second school shooting in under a year and a half. If this is not a wake-up call to do something, I don’t know what is,” said an enraged US Rep. Elissa Slotkin at a conference after the shooting.