A Student Led Publication Since 2021

The Globe

A Student Led Publication Since 2021

The Globe

The Globe

The Globe

IB DP Year One Student Profile: Jacobo Carvajal

Emiliana Velez

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) takes place during the last two years of high school. Students take rigorous classes to prepare themselves for the future from a global perspective. It is the second year of this program in Downtown Doral Charter Upper School. This is what an 11th-grade and IB DP year one student, Jacobo Carvajal, feels so far:

What do you think about the experience of being in this program so far?

I had my serious doubts in regards to the program. I felt that it was going to be too challenging and time-consuming for me. Being in the program for more than a month now, I feel that while the program is still challenging, I’ve been able to manage it in a less stressful manner, and being with friends has helped a lot.

What do you think prepared you academically for this program?

For years now, I’ve been put through all kinds of ‘advanced’ classes, that being honors or APs. The different skills I’ve acquired from these more rigorous forms of learning have truly helped me become more prepared for the IB program.

How are you balancing your school life and outside life?

When it comes to finding a balance in the program, I’ve noticed the only way one will be able to achieve an equilibrium is if you focus on your time management. As soon as I get home, I try to finish the work that was assigned that day so that I can still enjoy other free time activities like going to the gym or watching my favorite TV show.

What is your favorite subject so far?

My favorite subject in the program would have to be math or psychology. I’ve always found comfort in the math department, being that the subject has always come naturally to me and so I inherently enjoy it more. Additionally, psychology is a completely new subject for me, one I’ve never taken, but the topic has always interested me, and I found that the class has been very engaging and entertaining.

What do you expect out of this program?

The whole reason I joined the program was to better my college application for any future universities I would like to attend. The IB program is seen as a very prestigious curriculum and I truly feel that it will better prepare me for my upcoming college years. My dream would also be to study in Europe, and with IB being an international program, it can grant me that path, as well.

What do you feel is different about your high school experience now that you are in this program?

By being in the IB program, I do feel that I will lose some of those traditional high school experiences, such as seniority. Now that the program encompasses both junior year and senior year, I have no real time to “take it easy”, but I feel that’s a sacrifice all IB students must make with themselves, and ultimately we decide to stay and we have to accept the reality of it.

Do you recommend this experience?

I think IB will hopefully be a very fulfilling experience, and if you do want to better your chances at achieving your academic goals, do join the program. However, if you aren’t willing to acclimate to the workload and the sacrifice, I would not recommend it, and it’s better if you just enjoy your last two years in a more stress-free environment.