A Student Led Publication Since 2021

The Globe

A Student Led Publication Since 2021

The Globe

The Globe

The Globe

Popular Vote vs. Electoral College

Survey confirms Americans’ Opinion on the Electoral College

Pew Research Center conducted a survey which asked Americans to complete the following question, “Thinking about the way the president is elected in this country, would you prefer to… A) Change the current system so the candidate who receives the most votes wins, or B) Keep the current system so the candidate who wins the Electoral College vote wins.” In recent years, Americans have become increasingly opposed to the Electoral College. Around 65% of the adults that answered the survey said that they would rather see a change in the way we vote for presidents in the United States.

Mr. Stone, DDCUS’s resident history and government teacher, offered the following opinion on the Electoral College,

“I am not a fan of the Electoral College. What it has turned into is a situation where the popular vote ceases to matter. It’s very hard for me to justify the idea that more people voted for a candidate and that candidate lost anyway. It also ends up giving, in my opinion at least, an inappropriate amount of power to smaller, less populous states. If it were up to me, we would move to simple popular vote, and it would probably be rank-choice voting. The Electoral College drives me out of my mind.”