VANDALISM OR SELF-EXPRESSION?

Isabel Andjell, Staff Writer

Recently, the 8th  through 11th  grade female students were embroiled in quite the school scandal. Was it graffiti, art, vandalism, or personal expression?

There were drawings all over the 3rd floor bathroom stalls. Some were arguably harmless, while others depicted vulgar and improper topics. The students from these grades were called down to the cafeteria to receive a talk from the administrative team. During the impromptu assembly, it was made clear that these activities cannot continue. The speakers told students about the extensive procedures that were being taken to find the perpetrators. In addition, students were warned of the consequences that came with picking up a marker and writing something on school property. In the school’s view, these actions classify as vandalism – respect for your institution is a basic rule.

As a student, seeing the walls being drawn on made me feel bad, but I don’t understand why the innocent students got punished as well.

— Daniella Sanchez

However, all dilemmas have a root. DDCUS enforces very strict rules when it comes to its students’ overall appearance. Everyone must wear the same uniform with no allowances for alterations that showcase individuality. These limitations can potentially explain what happened a few weeks ago. A lack of individualism leads students to lash out and express themselves in unseemly ways. Sophomore Daniella Sanchez says, “As a student, seeing the walls being drawn on made me feel bad, but I don’t understand why the innocent students got punished as well.”

Although these events were unacceptable, most DDCUS students agree that if there was some leniency in the enforcement of rules, then problems like these may be avoided.