Black History Month: Music Spotlight

A Look at Contemporary Black Innovators

Isabel Andjell, Staff Writer

The month of February honors the contributions and sacrifices of African-Americans who have shaped the history of the United States. It honors the accomplishments and advancements by African-Americans while also paying tribute to the struggles and injustices that have also shaped our nation’s history. “Each February, National Black History Month serves as both a celebration and a powerful reminder that Black history is American history, Black culture is American culture, and Black stories are essential to the ongoing story of America — our faults, our struggles, our progress, and our aspirations,” the White House said.

BLACK MUSICIANS

SZA onstage at the REVOLT X AT&T  (Photo by Phillip Faraone/Getty Images for REVOLT

Solána Imani Rowe, more commonly known as SZA, is a breath of fresh air in the R&B scene. Born in St. Louis and raised in New Jersey, the 32-year-old singer has taken Gen-Z by storm with her relatable lyrics. Her highly revered freshman album, Ctrl (2017), debuted at number three on the Billboard 200. SZA has since gone on to be nominated for 14 Grammy Awards.

Tyler, the Creator attends the BET Awards (Paras Griffin/Getty Images for BET)

The mind behind the 2021 album Call Me If You Get Lost, Tyler, the Creator is an alternative hip hop artist and record producer. At just 30-years-old, Tyler Gregory Okonma has released six studio albums, started his own clothing company, and won three noteworthy awards.

Giveon photographed in Los Angeles. (Tayo Kuku)

26-year-old Los Angeles native, Giveon, is a soul singer and songwriter. The artist got his humble beginning on SoundCloud in 2018 and is now nominated for a Grammy after having released two EP’s along with his debut album, When It’s All Said And Done… Take Time. He has had people all over the world in a trance over his agonizing lyrics and heartfelt beats.

Getty Images

Megan Thee Stallion, born Megan Jovon Ruth Pete, is a rapper and songwriter. The self-proclaimed “Tina Snow” began her career in Houston, where videos of her freestyling went viral on Instagram and Twitter. The years following Megan’s takeoff have fallen nothing short of prosperous. Since the release of her debut album, Good News (2020), she has  collaborated with big names such as Beyoncé and Cardi B, Time Magazine named her one of the top 100 most influential people in the world (2020), and she won three Grammy awards.